VP, New Digital Technology
Hot Topic HQ - City of Industry, California - Executive
Technology keeps the world moving - It’s no different here at Hot Topic. The VP New Business Technology is responsible for overseeing all aspects of our new business initiatives technology needs. This new role will work directly with the President of New Business to define, select and implement the required new technology. As each new business is launched, this leader will hire, train and develop the necessary team to support the start up and work with the overall leadership team to grow the company through the use of technology. Using an active and practical approach, this role will direct all employees in the New Business Technology group including development, quality assurance, maintenance and infrastructure to drive the company’s strategic goals. This role is based at our Headquarters in City of Industry, CA or remote in US. #BI-Remote
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- In partnership with company leadership team, this role will be actively involved and lead in developing the vision and a road map to execute current and future new business activities.
- Support and Refine current plan for the product roadmap including setting time frames and successfully drive to fruition and release. Develop future plan for new products and enhancements including time frames, release and time to market.
- Direct the full software development cycle. Establish, refine and supervise the software development process, setting short-term objectives and assessing progress as defined by the selected software development methodology.
- Manage activities so that products are developed on schedule, maximum efficiency and within quality standards and cost objectives that meet market demands.
- Promote achievement of high quality products through extensive and fool-proof yet efficient quality assurance process.
- Integrate review and quality testing in the development cycle to ensure efficiency, avoid repeated errors and rejects, and ensure all the requirements are appropriately addressed.
- Ensure that products and enhancements provide optimum solutions consistent with what customers need and improve their workflow and usage experience.
- In partnership with internal business owners, help direct product and enhancement requirements gathering for software, platform, and web-based solutions including workflow, wireframes, mockups and prototype consistent with both strategic intention of the company as whole (sales, marketing, implementation, support and operations) and clients/customers.
- Collaborate with designers (UX/UI), project managers, operations and Product User Groups to successfully achieve high-quality and useful products.
- Review and approve proposed development releases and manage the release process.
- Present new releases and plans highlighting new products enhancements to existing customers, potential clients and business partners (as well as in trade shows, conferences and user-group meetings).
- Overall Management, Execution, Operations and Maintenance
- Identify technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business. Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services.
- Establish a governance process that meets government, partner, and company expectations for customer information privacy and other regulatory compliance.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Acquisition, maintenance and cost-effective technology including internal infrastructure, systems and client integration.
- Prepare department budget and resource/infrastructure requirements.
- Direct management of engineers/developers (on-shore and off-shore), DBAs, QA staff, product management, infrastructure and production support teams as well as technology partners and vendors.
- Monitor and report progress and status of development activities
- Take charge and accountability of product releases and deployment consistent with timeline commitments.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices
- Define and communicate company values and standards for acquiring or developing systems, equipment, or software within the company. Ensure the company’s internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with community expectations and applicable laws and regulations for privacy, security, and social responsibility.
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization.
- Ensure company technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Develop, track, and control the product management, development and deployment of annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
- Display high-performance, high-energy leadership to direct team, collaboration with company leadership team
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- BS/BA in computer science, engineering or related major or equivalent combination of education and experience. A graduate degree in one of these fields is a plus
- Experience in new business start up transformations is a plus utilizing current tools and trends to create a first class customer experience
- Demonstrated ability to envision and architect web-based services and SaaS that meet consumer needs or solve business problems
- 15+ years of professional experience preferred with experience managing tech teams required
- Extensive system tool experience – Salesforce, Shopify, Oracle, C#, .Net and SQL.
- Keen business acumen and proven executive management abilities based on prior experience.
- Forthright and a team player who is an active member of a high performance management team
- Ability to have effective two-way communication with management and development team
- Provide leadership and motivation to the development team via a dynamic, confident and professional demeanor
- Knowledgeable with more than one software development methodology and multiple products.
- Ability to discern user requirements and develop specifications
- Strong knowledge of information security vulnerabilities, disaster-recovery and risk management
- Familiarity with consumer privacy and payments industry compliance requirements