Hot Topic HQ - City of Industry, California - Full-time
We are a leading retailer specializing in pop culture merchandise that is on the search for a VP, Controller to help financially guide our growth. As VP, Controller, you will retain ownership over day-to-day accounting operations including financial reporting, payroll, tax, accounts payable, inventory accounting, cash and sales audit. Success in this role requires the right mix of grit, adaptability and drive, coupled with deep experience leading Finance and Accounting teams. This role reports to the CFO, and has a broad reach across our business.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Provide leadership to the financial reporting team. You’ll build and develop a team that effectively supports the objectives and growth of the business, ensuring the professional development of each team member while providing coaching and mentoring to ensure that we have the best of the best.
- Recommend to the CFO optimization opportunities as they relate to financial reporting, accounting systems, treasury and internal controls. Ability to run initiatives from planning to completion generating results that improve accuracy, speed and integrity of financial and accounting results.
- Develop, implement and execute processes to ensure timely and accurate reporting and review of financial statements with particular emphasis on ensuring the integrity of the balance sheet and overall operational performance. High level of involvement in the timely preparation and review of the corporate financial statements, preparing the necessary support and presentation to executive management.
- Develop and implement processes for monitoring financial controls within the business including, but not limited to, store cash, GL and bank reconciliation, payables, payroll, tax filing, closing process and fixed assets.
- Lead cash, investments and insurance programs including partnering on renewal and evaluation of risk policies.
- Manage investments to achieve competitive returns and highly involved in cash flow management and liquidity modeling.
- Ensure complete support is prepared and reviewed for all accounts on a monthly basis. You'll lead the preparation of reports required by all regulatory agencies and utilize Blackline Systems at an optimal level to ensure efficient work flows.
- Identify, evaluate and implement new tax changes/strategies as well as ensure tax/business license compliance for applicable jurisdictions domestically and internationally.
- As appropriate, establish and maintain relationships with external financial institutions and key software vendors/service providers. You’ll maintain contact with independent accountants, auditors and partners to facilitate financial audits.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- At least 8 years of financial management experience and leadership in the retail or multi-unit, multi-state industry, along with CPA designation.
- 5+ years of experience with a Big 4 accounting firm preferably supporting retail companies. You’ve lead internal/external audits, management of financial reporting and regulatory compliance.
- Ability to lead a team of finance professionals in various finance related specialties and provide accounting and financial guidance.
- Experience designing and implementing financial controls and processes.
- Extraordinary analytical, problem solving and project management skills.
- Impeccable communication skills; you’re able to effectively communicate at all levels, from C-Suite and Board of Directors to associates.