Supervisor, Real Estate Accounts Payable
Hot Topic HQ - City of Industry, California - Full-time
With over 800 locations across the US and Canada, our customers are never too far from a Hot Topic or BoxLunch location. With so many locations adding up to significant real estate, we are in need of a Supervisor, Real Estate AP that will ensure the timely and accurate reporting and payment of leases, account analysis, and reconciliation of vendor statements. The position will lead a small but mighty Real Estate Accounting team and report to the Accounting Manager.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Manage the Accounts Payable – Real Estate function to ensure landlords are paid according to lease agreements.
- Promptly and accurately pay monthly rent payments and reconcile all lease charges (including CAM, insurance etc.) according to lease agreements.
- Report landlord-reportable sales to landlords on a monthly and annual basis.
- Process new and amended lease agreements and test lease agreements according to ASC 842 lease standards.
- Maintain lease records in Lucernex, our real estate management software.
- Determine appropriate month-end accruals for percentage and special rent, utilities, and other occupancy expenses.
- Prepare and review journal entries.
- Audit year-end CAM (common area maintenance) and real estate tax statements and verify lease compliance. You’ll provide audit information as requested including a contingent liability report.
- Evaluate and challenge periodic occupancy cost increases as invoiced by landlords (You keep watch like the Nights Watch).
- Ensure proper controls and procedures are adhered to, and all Sarbanes-Oxley required controls are correctly performed. You’ll also maintain department procedures narrative.
- Performs variance analysis between actual expenses to forecast/budget and support monthly financial statement balances by resolving outstanding issues.
- Support our Real Estate, Leasing & Legal team by assisting with special requests from landlords.
- Performs other job duties as needed.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- A bachelor degree in accounting or finance with minimum two year prior experience in accounting/financial operation, or combined/comparable experience.
- 2 years of accounting experience relating to real estate lease agreements, with at least 1 year in a leadership capacity. Retail accounting experience is a plus.
- Strong math and analytical skills; you have the technical accounting chops needed to crush it in this role.
- Comprehensive knowledge of real estate concepts and lease terminology; you know real estate like Luke knows the Force.
- Communication skills; we’re an open workplace that thrives on transparency. You don’t shy away from communicating bottom up and always provide a high level of service to all internal and external customers.
- Rock steady composure with the ability to lead and thrive under pressure (insert David Bowie reference here).