Hot Topic HQ - City of Industry, California - Full-time
We’re searching for an Assistant Controller who’ll lead all general accounting, internal financial reporting/analysis, month end close, audit preparation and special projects as needed for the CFO and VP Controller. In the role, you will be exposed to many facets of specialty retail across multiple brands (Hot Topic, Box Lunch and Her Universe) and will be instrumental as we upgrade and enhance our systems and processes. We live in a fast paced, constantly changing environment; you’re the type that thrives on it.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Directly oversee key operational teams within the Finance group: Treasury, Cash Audit, AP Expense and Real Estate Accounting; manage and mentor 3 direct reports and other team members; aka you’ll be a Jedi Master
- Assess adequacy of policies, procedures and controls and implement improvements as needed; you’ll help drive efficiency and optimization at scale, and communicate these processes to the team and business
- Forecast cash flow positions, related borrowing needs, and funds available for investment
- Ensure that sufficient funds are available to meet ongoing operational and capital investment requirements
- Lead implementation of new software including lease administration systems (experience with Lucernex is great) and ERP (Lawson and Oracle)
- Ensure activities that impact month-end close (account reconciliations and journal entries) are completed timely, accurately and efficiently
- Assist, as needed, in analyzing financial statement fluctuations on the P&L and balance sheet.
- Maintain relationships with third parties (e.g., banks, factors, credit rating agencies) to ensure our business operates smoothly
- Liaise between accounting and the business – resolving questions and issues swiftly. You’ll be a team builder and bridge gaps with internal and external customers
- Ensure external audit requests are responded to in a timely manner
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance (CPA and/or MBA a plus)
- At least 7+ years of accounting experience with increasingly responsible management experience within a public or private company; retail is a HUGE plus
- At least 5 years leading and developing a growing team
- Extensive knowledge of US GAAP
- Outstanding project management skills with the ability to build strong cross-functional relationships and work collaboratively
- Strong communication skills including ability to work in a team environment, give honest, direct feedback and is an excellent verbal and written communicator.
- Technical chops in ERP systems (Lawson, Cognos and Blackline a plus) and Excel
- Excellent analytical/problem solving skills with success in improving processes and efficiency
Our company participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is a program that electronically confirms a candidate’s eligibility to work in the United States after completing the Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9). The information provided on the Form I-9 is compared to the records contained in the Social Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) databases. This helps employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees.