Hot Topic HQ - City of Industry, California - Full-time
We’re searching for an Accounting Manager who’ll lead the Real Estate Accounting Team, take charge of fixed asset reporting and processes, assist with month end close, audit support and special projects as needed. In the role, you will be exposed to many facets of specialty retail across multiple brands (Hot Topic, Box Lunch and Her Universe) and will be instrumental as we upgrade and enhance our systems and processes. We live in a fast paced, constantly changing environment; you’re the type that thrives on it.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Manage the A/P Real Estate function to ensure landlords are paid according to lease agreements.
- Perform variance analysis between actual expenses to forecast and support monthly financial statement balances by resolving outstanding issues.
- Monthly close process including account reconciliations and journal entry preparation and review.
- Generate and analyze periodic reports for monthly fixed asset reporting.
- Collaborate with others in the Accounting Department to complete the monthly fixed asset close process.
- Prepare and reconcile the fixed asset sub-ledger to the general ledger monthly and perform other month-end close activities.
- Support our Real Estate, Leasing & Legal team by assisting with special requests from landlords.
- Coordinate with team to ensure prompt and accurate monthly rent payments and reconcile all lease charges (including CAM, insurance etc.) according to lease agreements.
- Ensure landlord-reportable sales are sent to landlords on a monthly and annual basis.
- Coordinate with team to determine appropriate month-end accruals for percentage and special rent, utilities, and other occupancy expenses.
- Audit year-end CAM (common area maintenance) and real estate tax statements and verifies lease compliance in partnership with your team. You’ll provide audit information as requested including a contingent liability report.
- Provide external audit support for the areas of fixed assets and leases.
- Assist in the preparation and review of corporate accounting policies and procedures; you’ll help us drive efficiency and optimization at scale, and communicate these processes to the team and business.
- Ensure proper controls and procedures are adhered to, and all Sarbanes-Oxley required controls are correctly performed.
- Take on other responsibilities and ad hoc projects within the Accounting Department.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting and at least 3+ years of related experience
- Big 4 or national accounting firm experience is preferred
- CPA or CPA eligible is preferred
- Knowledge of fundamental accounting concepts, practices, and procedures
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, while adhering to strict deadline
- Strong communication skills including ability to work in a team environment, give honest, direct feedback and is an excellent verbal and written communicator
- Excellent analytical/problem solving skills with success in improving processes and efficiency