Hot Topic HQ - City of Industry, California - Executive
We are a leading retailer specializing in pop culture merchandise that is on the search for a Chief Financial Officer who will report to the CEO and assume a strategic role in the overall management of the company. This role will also provide leadership and strategic direction to the following areas as they will all report directly to this key leadership position: accounting, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, legal, real estate, construction, purchasing, investor relations, and private and institutional financing. The successful person for this role is someone looking for a role anchored in the CFO responsibilities, however makes an impact well beyond the technical and traditional CFO role. The role requires someone passionate about product, efficient operations, continuous growth of the business and people; and finally demonstrates strong aptitude for fiscal management that maximizes sales, improves productivity and ensures efficiency across the company.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of the organization’s short and long-term strategic objectives and improve profitability, including recommendations to strategically enhance financial performance and business opportunities.
- Develop strategies that will enhance the company’s value by improving sales, maximizing productivity and ensuring efficiencies across the company.
- Work closely with the senior leadership to develop strategies and plans that create opportunities for growth. This may include international expansion, licensing and product opportunities, category growth, new businesses and more.
- Establish finance operational strategies by evaluating trends, establishing critical measurements, designing systems, accumulating resources, resolving problems, and implementing change.
- Ensure credibility of Finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial results and forecasts. Provides financial data by developing forecasts, reporting results, analyzing variances, and developing improvements.
- Oversee the treasury function including investment of funds; manage associated risks while maximizing return on invested funds; develop and maintain banking relationships and monitor cash projections/liquidity requirements.
- Monitor financial performance by measuring and analyzing results, initiating corrective actions, minimizing the impact of variances.
- Evaluate and advises on the impact of long range planning, introduction of new programs/ strategies and regulatory actions.
- Establish and maintains strong relationships with senior executives so as to identify their needs and seek full range of business solutions; provide executive management with advice on the financial implications of business activities.
- Supervise the preparation of the annual budget and provide continual improvement of the budgeting process through education of department managers on financial issues impacting department budgets.
- Be an advisor from the financial perspective on any contracts into which the company may enter.
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the organization i.e., evaluation of potential alliances acquisitions and/or mergers and retirement investment funds and investments.
- Develop and manage relationships with external auditors and ensure financial records are prepared to be in compliance with accounting standards and legal requirements as a public or private company.
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and in compliance with accounting standards and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Evaluate the departmental structures and teams, plan for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the groups as well as provide individuals with professional and personal growth.
- Lead and manage the Real Estate, Legal, and Purchasing functions.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Creative Problem Solving and Analysis, Financial Planning and Strategy, Managing Profitability, Strategic Planning, Vision, Process Improvement, Forecasting, Corporate Finance, Developing Budgets, Financial Skills, Dealing with Complexity, Negotiation Skills, Strong Partnership Skills, and Strong Leadership Skills that set an example for others across the organization.
- BS in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent experience.
- MBA and/or CPA highly desirable.
- 10+ years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles, preferably in specialty retail, retail with vertical product development or eCommerce. Multi-unit experience and experience in working with a complex vendor base is preferable.
- Interpersonal skills, engaging thoughtful leader who has the drive and ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization.
- Viewed by others as a key resource and solid business partner.
- Deep problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Passion for developing team members