Lease Accounting Associate
Hot Topic HQ - City of Industry, California - Full-time
We know that Accounting is typically viewed as a back office function, but at Hot Topic we work collaboratively and see this role as a component in ensuring our teams success. We’re looking for a Lease Accounting Associate that ensures accurate and timely payment of lease-required financial obligations and reconciles these payments. Works closely with landlords, Real Estate Legal and Store Operations management to ensure all billed charges are proper, as defined in the lease agreement.
This role operates on a hybrid schedule and will require to work from our HQ located in the City of Industry, CA two days a week.
Pay range is $25/hr - $26.50/hr.
Please note the pay range for this position starts as listed in the job posting, but other factors such as an individual’s education, location, meeting the minimum job requirements for the role, training and experience, will determine the final salary for potential new hires.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Promptly and accurately pays monthly rent payments and reconciliation of all rental charges according to the lease agreements
- Reports landlord-reportable sales to landlords on a monthly basis
- Maintains current rent information in Lucernex, our lease management program in order to process weekly rent payments
- Verifies occupancy accounts and corrects GL entries as required to prepare journal entries
- Determines appropriate month-end accruals for percentage rents, utilities, and other occupancy expenses
- Audits year-end CAM (common area maintenance) and real estate tax statements and verifies lease compliance
- Assists with store sales audit by generating reports and providing requested support to auditors
- Evaluates and challenges periodic occupancy cost increases as invoiced by landlords
- Work closely with the team on special projects and ad hoc requests as needed
- Performs other duties as needed
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- A Bachelor degree in accounting or finance with minimum one year prior experience in accounting/financial operation, or a combination of education with equivalent work experience
- Working knowledge of MS Word and Excel. Experience with Lucernex, Lawson, and Blackline are a plus
- Strong math and analytical skills. Accuracy and attention to detail
- Basic knowledge of real estate concepts and lease terminology
- Illustrates a dedication to meeting requirements of internal and external partners, responding to all landlord requests promptly and thoroughly
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high-volume position
- Strong communication skills including ability to work in a team environment, give honest, direct feedback, and is a solid verbal and written communicator
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision and effectively with others and foster teamwork across the organization.
- Needs to be well-organized, proactive, detail-oriented, and have excellent time management skills
- Is accountable for results, approaches obstacles proactively, and looks for ways to resolve problems and issues